|Warning: This article is an incomplete stub. If you can help, please click Edit this page and become a contributor!|
A tank is any character whose job it is to take damage so that other characters in a group or raid don't have to. In Vanguard, as in many other games, this implies three key characteristics:
- the ability to absorb or mitigate damage
- the ability to generate threat to attract the 'attention' of mobs
- the ability to rescue more vulnerable group members when they are being attacked
Tanking Classes Edit
The most obvious choices are the protective fighters: warrior, paladin, dread knight. However, to a lesser extent other classes can fill the role if need be. Often this requires the presence of one or more good healers.
- Ranger: has some melee ability and can mitigate with the right gear, but probably better off kiting.
- Bard: crowd control options help bards tank, and they have an on-demand parry ability which helps. However, they have difficulty holding aggro, and once hit they tend to go down quickly!
- Monk: high dodge ratings help monks mitigate, particularly those that have taken the relevant path.
- Cleric: surprisingly good tanks due to high levels of heal threat, the ability to become temporarily invulnerable, heavy armor, and the ability to self-heal. Clerics can often relieve a main tank for a few seconds, and assist in protecting the softer-skinned classes. They do have one rescue ability, although once aggro is lost to high DPS classes they have little chance of getting it back.
- Shaman: particularly in bear (Tuurgin) form, shamans have some ability as tanks.